Indigo in the USA: Unleashing the Power of Fiber Broadband
Our CCO and Board Member, Ray O’Connor, spent nearly a month in the USA in May 2023 visiting our offices, new employees, customers, and stakeholders.
As the world becomes increasingly interconnected, reliable and high-speed internet connectivity is no longer a luxury but a necessity. In the United States, the quest for ubiquitous fiber broadband coverage has gained significant momentum. In this blog post, we will delve into the current state of fiber broadband deployment in the USA, the challenges faced, and the promising opportunities that lie ahead.
The Fiber Broadband Landscape in the USA
- Approximately one-third of the roughly 150 million homes in the US currently have access to fiber broadband.
- The remaining two-thirds are split between approximately 50 million homes deemed to be economically viable and the rest situated in far less densely populated areas and as a result require a government subsidy in order to be economic.
- President Biden’s ‘Investing in America’ agenda has facilitated affordable internet access for over 16 million households.
- Municipal FTTH (Fiber-to-the-Home) initiatives are gaining traction for areas requiring government support.
Insights and Perspectives from Broadband Communities Summit 2023
Ray headed to the Broadband Communities Summit in Texas and heard about the importance of Community Involvement:
- Gigi Sohn of the American Association for Public Broadband emphasizes the importance of community input in broadband deployment models.
- Municipalities play a vital role in the successful implementation of fiber broadband networks.
- Comparisons between US and UK broadband deployment models, with a focus on public-private partnerships (PPP) and private equity involvement.
- The terminology shift from “broadband” to “full-fiber” in Europe highlights the emphasis on high-speed connectivity.
Event Highlight: ITW 2023
Ray joined ITW Xtra powered by JSA to discuss all things networks, from system operator support to fiber design to network monitoring. Watch it now!
Are you looking for the Secrets to a Successful Fiber Rollout?
Discover the Secrets to a Successful Fiber Rollout in our latest ebook. Gain invaluable insights and expertise from industry leaders, empowering you to navigate the complexities of fiber deployment. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to drive connectivity and transform communities with high-speed fiber broadband.
Indigo has been shortlisted for the 2024 esri Ireland Field Operations Award: celebrating the best extended the reach of our GIS system.
Indigo, now proudly celebrating 25 years in business, has a story woven with innovation, expansion, and a commitment to excellence.